Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Lick-your-lips Lemon Bread

1/3 cup shortening (generous)
1 cup brown sugar (also generous)
Cream sugar and shortening together
Add one egg and mix well
Add a second egg and mix well
2 tsps (generous) Lemon Juice (original recipe calls for lemon peel)
In a separate bowl, combine:
1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour (skimping)
2 TBS gluten flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1 1/2 tsps Baking Powder
In a liquid measuring cup:
1/2 cup of milk
Alternately stir in milk and the dry from the separate bowl.  Don't be afraid of over-stirring because this recipe needs to be lighter and fluffier.
Bake 40-50 minutes at 350 or until a toothpick comes out clean
Background Story:
This is a major variation on a bread recipe in my cookbook.  The original recipe called for things that I A. didn’t have or B. are on my avoidance list.  So I loosely followed it and yum-yum happened!  This is a very sweet bread- almost cake but not quite.  I had to have a whole wheat to gluten flour ratio.  Also, I didn't want pecans and I didn't have lemon peel.  I don't use all purpose flour or white sugar and I wanted more salt.  So basically I used the same amount of baking powder and eggs as the original and similar fat-to-sugar ratios.

No comments:

Post a Comment